7847 Eastern Avenue; Silver Spring, MD
In the sidewalk in front of a store at this address, a plaque
marks the spot where the stone once stood.
The stone was accidentally bulldozed and removed during the
construction of the storefront in September 1952.
DCDAR shortly thereafter "found [a] salesman who
had seen [the] stone and fence knocked down but had not interfered
because he knew nothing of [the]
significance of [the] same." As reported by Bernate in
The Ravensworth Farmer, "local lore was that the stone fragments
were discarded in a nearby residential backyard in the neighborhood."
The plaque was installed in 1960, and
a replica stone
created in 2015 remains in the D.C. Office of the Surveyor due to
lack of consensus over where it should be placed.
Zoom to street map.