By the time of Woodward's visit more than a century ago, the original stone was "rounded, battered and chipped on every side" possibly because "soldiers used it as a target" during the Civil War. When a truck knocked the stone out of place in 1985, the manager of a nearby apartment building moved it into the building's boiler room for safekeeping. In 1991, the building manager gave the stone to the bicentennial resurveying team, who, in 2012, transferred the stone to the D.C. Office of the Surveyor, where it remains on display. <! 1100 D Street SW, 3rd Floor, as of 2016 !>
As of mid-2020, the replica stone has been knocked over, and its fence has been destroyed, in another traffic incident.
Zoom to street map.